In general, posters are a key component of communicating your research and an important element in a successful scientific paper. Poster presentations give the participants the chance to ask and explain fields of their research to small(er) groups and thus yield high-quality information due to closer interaction between each other.
In order to successfully participate in the DPG Summer School “Applied Photonics”, each participant is asked to prepare a (scientific) poster presentation of their field of research and/or interest or even contain information about past internships.
Students may select their own template to use. Please note that a proper template for a poster has to be used. A PowerPoint presentation cut & pasted on a poster – is unacceptable. Students are encouraged to search for and utilize different types of templates
They are to be printed independently on a 70cmx100cm size sheet.
Posters must contain the following items:
- Name of company / university & logos
- Location of internship / scientific work
- Name of student
- Semester(s) or years worked at the internship or scientific work
- Short description of the work/ research field
- 1-2 examples od significant project(s) or work accomplished
- Short summary
- Use visualized Data (Photographs, Data, Graphics)
- Share your experience
- Skills gained
- Lessons learned
- Challenges and how you overcome them
- Does or did your experience influence your goals?
Tips for creating a poster presentation:
Free PowerPoint templates are also available online at:
- Attention! You have to have the permission of your internship workplace and/or university before presenting a project or research in order to not violate any license agreements or otherwise lawfully binding contracts!
- Keep the target audience in mind. Many of these posters will be seen (and rated) by professionals.
- Be clear and precise in both content as well as presentation.
- Your poster has to draw attention, but do not use too many flashy graphics or effects – the content, clarity, and readability are important!
- Remember to check your grammar and spelling.
- Be concise in your writing and use illustrations.
- Mind the given poster dimensions. If the submitted poster is too small, it will be expanded during the printing process, which will likely blur everything.